Nacho Cheese Sauce
There are not many things I like more a good creamy, cheese dip but I never realized how easy it was to make my own. This Nacho Cheese Sauce is great on Nachos, paired with warm pretzels, or topping tacos! The limits are really endless...
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 Tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt + pepper to taste
1.Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Sprinkle the flour over the top, stirring constantly until a thick paste forms, 1 to 2 minutes.
3.Slowly add the milk to the flour/butter paste in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
4.Continue cooking, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. It should be thick but still pourable.
5.Add the cheese, whisking constantly until it is melted.
6. Add the hot sauce and cayenne.
7. Taste, then add salt and pepper to taste. Add more cayenne and/or hot sauce if preferred.
The sauce will thicken upon cooling.
Note: Store leftovers covered tightly in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Heat over stovetop or in the microwave before serving again
Stay Connected with us!
Written By Samantha M. Chase
Home Basics Staff
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.